What you will get
- 12 month membership to ASCA
- Course content developed by world class presenters who have worked with elite sports teams
- Enrol at any time & study at your own pace
- Library of exercise videos
- Unlimited access to our learning portal
- Collaborative learning tools
The ASCA Level 1 Strength and Conditioning Coaching course provides basic level knowledge and skills to understand, apply and design training programs to improve the performance of beginner athletes.
- Design and apply appropriate coaching and teaching skills to match the physical and psychological development of the athlete
- Design, implement and review conditioning training programs to improve athlete performance in beginner level athletes.
- Develop and implement a safe resistance training program for youth and children.
- Design, implement and review a periodised speed and agility training program appropriate for beginner level athletes
- Design and implement training methods for improved flexibility and mobility in beginner level athletes.
- Demonstrate practical application of stretching and mobility exercises.
- Define and implement appropriate nutritional guidelines to enhance sports performance for beginner level athletes.
- Be familiar with and capable of implementing an injury prevention and management philosophy and practice to minimize injuries in beginner level athletes.
- Effectively develop communication strategies for improved athlete performance.
- Identify specific requirements when coaching special populations in a strength and conditioning context.
- Design, implement and review a strength training program appropriate for beginner level athletes.
- Design, implement and review a periodised energy system conditioning program appropriate for beginner level athletes.
- Prepare warm up/warm down sessions for a wide range of beginner level athletes/sports.
- Develop strategies for improved recovery from training and competition in beginner level athletes.
- Define, implement and interpret appropriate assessment protocols for beginner athletes and assessing individual physical components.
- Understand rehabilitation principles.
The Level 1 strength & conditioning coach qualification is accredited by the National Coach Accreditation Scheme (NCAS). The NCAS is Australia’s system of training and accrediting coaches, which more than 70 sports participate in.
For more information click here.
Continuing Education Credits
The course is registered for 15 CEC points with Fitness Australia on completion of all assessment requirements.
This course is suitable for:
- Sports Coaches (all sports)
- Accredited Exercise Physiologists (AEP’s)
- Personal trainers
- Gym instructors
- Physical educational teachers
- Sports science students and graduates.
Note that the Level 1 Strength & Conditioning course is a pre-requisite for the Level 2 qualification, which is designed to prepare coaches working with intermediate or state level athletes.
You can enrol in the Level 1 Strength & Conditioning Coach course at any time. There are no fixed start dates, however all course assessment requirements must be completed within 6 months.
Participants must be 16 years of age and over to attend the course.
In order to gain the Level 1 Strength and Conditioning Coach qualification, you need to meet the theoretical and practical components outlined below:
- Successfully complete the Level 1 course workbook
- Sign and return the ASCA Consent and Coach’s Code of Behaviour Agreement Form
- Perform 10 hours of supervised strength and conditioning coaching and/or observation.
- Perform 20 hours of unsupervised strength and conditioning coaching – Note that your practical supervisor should be an ASCA accredited coach and/or posses relevant qualifications and experience.
- Complete Practical Assessment criteria under the supervision of an ASCA accredited coach.
Please note that all practical coaching hours (supervised & unsupervised) must be undertaken with athletes & sporting teams. Training non-athletes for general health & fitness will not be accepted.
The course cost is $500 AUD, which includes 12 months membership with the Australian Strength and Conditioning Association (ASCA) and registration under the Australian Sports Commission’s National Coach Accreditation Scheme (NCAS).
Recognition of Prior Learning
The ASCA has a RPL Policy & Application form. To view these documents please click here.
Refund and Transfer Policy
For more information, click here to visit our Refund and Transfer Policy page.
For more information on the Australian Strength & Conditioning Association (ASCA) please click here.