As an Accredited Exercise Physiologist (AEP) for the past 10 years, Brad has extensive experience assessing a broad range of musculoskeletal conditions & applying appropriate, evidence-based exercise interventions. Brad has provided his services to Workcover Qld, Commonwealth Rehabilitation Services (CRS), private insurers, sporting teams & private clients.
Brad holds the following qualifications.
- Bachelor of Human Movement Science (applied)
- Graduate Certificate in Exercise Medicine
- Master of Sport Science (Professional)
- Level 2 strength & conditioning Coach (ASCA).
I practice an active approach to rehabilitation where the client is educated about symptom management & correct movement patterns, with the goal of regaining function as soon as possible. The application of therapeutic exercise should commence in the early stages of rehabilitation after the appropriate medical clearances have been provided.
A true psychosocial approach to rehabilitation looks at the patient holistically & considers more than just the physical injury. Addressing self-limiting behaviour & negative self-talk are just as important as establishing the physical goals such as establishing a full range of motion, correcting muscle asymmetries and rebuilding efficient movement patterns.
What do Accredited Exercise Physiologists (AEP’s) do?
AEPs are tertiary qualified allied health professionals who specialise in the delivery of exercise for the prevention and management of chronic diseases and injuries. We provide support for clients with conditions such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, osteoporosis, mental health problems, cancer, arthritis, pulmonary disease and more. AEPs are eligible to register with Medicare Australia, the Department of Veterans’ Affairs and WorkCover and are recognised by most private health insurers.
You might see an AEP to help you:
- overcome persisting pain caused by injury or overuse
- improve your heart health
- rehabilitate following a cardiac event
- control your diabetes
- prevent pre-diabetes from progressing to full diabetes
- improve your recovery following cancer treatment
- improve your general health and wellbeing.
AEPs also provide training in safe manual handling; perform functional assessments; carry out sub-maximal and maximal fitness tests; perform body composition tests and musculoskeletal assessments; and provide lifestyle education to help people manage their health conditions.
In Australia, we have the unique situation where we’re working backwards. We have the existing resources and infrastructure including the specialised workforce of Exercise Physiologists and the Medicare subsidies, which enable Australians to access these services, but we need to significantly increase our activity levels, as 70% of Australians are not active enough.
Reference: Exercise & Sports Science Australia
Exercise physiology referrals accepted
- DVA Health Cards (Gold and White) are accepted as payment upon a GP referral
- Workcover Qld referrals
- Private health insurers
- Private clients
- Physical capacity assessments (including static & dynamic postural appraisal)
- Standard & progress reports
- Individual & group exercise sessions
- Wellness program design & supervision
- Strength & conditioning program design & implementation.